Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has held an emergency meeting with his top security officials, in the wake of a string of deadly attacks and the abduction of more than 100 schoolgirls.
He also met with some of the state governors on Thursday in the capital, Abuja.
The meeting did not include governors from the opposition All Progressive Congress party, although some represent regions hardest hit by the recent unrest.
Despite the absences, Akwa Ibom state governor Godswill Akpabio told reporters that all Nigerians would have to work together to resolve the crisis.
"We must face the situation and it is not something that we should politicize. We cannot politicize security. All hands must be on deck. The entire country. Every single Nigerian must contribute his quota towards bringing the current situation to an end," said Akpabio
He said President Jonathan called a second meeting, for next Wednesday, that would include opposition party governors.
Nigeria has been rocked by a series of attacks this week, including a Monday bombing in Abuja that left at least 75 people dead.
Also Monday, unidentified gunmen attacked a secondary school in the northeastern Borno state region and kidnapped over 100 students.
There were no immediate claims of responsibility for the kidnappings, but the assault is similar to attacks that have been carried out by the Boko Haram Islamist militant group.
On Wednesday, Nigeria's Joint Information Center said most of the abducted girls had been freed, but the school's principal denied the report.
United Nations human rights representatives say they are "extremely concerned" about the kidnappings of the 12- to 17-year-old girls. In a Thursday statement, the representatives said such attacks are prohibited under international law.